After a weekend of weather the children brought their samples in from outside.
We discussed the effects of the weather on them:
Charlie’s was a wee bit dirty…
Michael’s had blown into muck …
Ella’s was found on the fence..
Edvinas’ was lying on the ground…
Jack’s was stuck to the wall….
Another’s had blown to Mrs O’Sullivan’s door…
5 samples were lost altogether to the weather!
We recorded the changes to our samples by drawing them.
All this weathering made us look closer and closer…
next we discussed the results of trying to join the samples by using tape.
The children reported back that the strongest tape seemed to be the black duck tape. The next strongest was the double sided tape and the masking tape was no good for the job at all! We realised that the making tape was meant to be only TEMPORARY!
Our task now was to try and join samples by sewing.
The children sought out examples of stitching on the clothes they were wearing. In fact they found stitches on sleeves, cuffs waistbands belt loops and on their shoes! They said they found hundreds and millions of stitches… they went in and out, in and out of the material.
The children said “real stitches” were
nice and straight
had a lovely pattern
One child said they had bought some clothes in Newry and the stitching was higgledy piggeldy and came undone and so the clothes had to be taken back.
So the children tried the stitches of their own…..
Look at the great results!